I went to a heckuva lot of shows this year- seeing some acts multiple times. Here are my favorites:
1. The Touch & Go 25th Anniversary Festival - in particular Killdozer and Big Black - a great lineup of bands from my young adulthood that I also got to see with a bunch of my Midwestern mates.
2. Joanna Newsom at Black Cat - I know it's love her or hate her- I loved her show!
3. The Walkmen at Johnny Brenda's - hands down, they are the most promising, solid new rock band, and yes, this was just yesterday.
4. Art Brut at the Ottobar - I love Eddie Argos with the mustache- They were hilarious live- best sing-along act.
5. Beirut at Warehouse Next Door - a really nice show I felt lucky to have gotten into considering all the hype in the blogosphere.
6. Camera Obscura at Black Cat - They released a great record this year, and gosh darn it, I love that scottish twee sound.
7. Belle & Sebastian at Merriweather Post Pavillion - despite seeing them 3 times this year- this was my favorite of their shows mainly cause I could sit on my ass and eat a brat during the show.
8. The Concretes at 9:30 club - a show where there were maybe 30 people there. the band then cancelled their US tour early and then broke up. they were great.
9. Jose Gonzalez, Juana Molina & Psapp at Black Cat - another packed show thanks to the Pitchfork effect, and I managed to block the view of some short prick
10. Espers & Brightblack Morning Light at Talking Head - I really like the freak folk!
Runnerups include seeing the goofy sober Cat Power with the Memphis Rhythm Band, The reunited Pogues, and Scritti Politti on his first US tour.