Sunday, December 17, 2006

Year End Lists : My Top 10 Concerts of 2006

I went to a heckuva lot of shows this year- seeing some acts multiple times. Here are my favorites:
1. The Touch & Go 25th Anniversary Festival - in particular Killdozer and Big Black - a great lineup of bands from my young adulthood that I also got to see with a bunch of my Midwestern mates.
2. Joanna Newsom at Black Cat - I know it's love her or hate her- I loved her show!
3. The Walkmen at Johnny Brenda's - hands down, they are the most promising, solid new rock band, and yes, this was just yesterday.
4. Art Brut at the Ottobar - I love Eddie Argos with the mustache- They were hilarious live- best sing-along act.
5. Beirut at Warehouse Next Door - a really nice show I felt lucky to have gotten into considering all the hype in the blogosphere.
6. Camera Obscura at Black Cat - They released a great record this year, and gosh darn it, I love that scottish twee sound.
7. Belle & Sebastian at Merriweather Post Pavillion - despite seeing them 3 times this year- this was my favorite of their shows mainly cause I could sit on my ass and eat a brat during the show.
8. The Concretes at 9:30 club - a show where there were maybe 30 people there. the band then cancelled their US tour early and then broke up. they were great.
9. Jose Gonzalez, Juana Molina & Psapp at Black Cat - another packed show thanks to the Pitchfork effect, and I managed to block the view of some short prick
10. Espers & Brightblack Morning Light at Talking Head - I really like the freak folk!

Runnerups include seeing the goofy sober Cat Power with the Memphis Rhythm Band, The reunited Pogues, and Scritti Politti on his first US tour.

No comments: