Sunday, July 09, 2006

Belle & Sebastian, Broken Social Scene, and Ted Leo + Pharmacists at Merriweather Post Pavillion


The last time I was at Merriweather Post Pavillion was in the late 80's to see New Order, P.I.L., and The Sugarcubes. I remember being on the lawn and there being items on fire thrown in the air (sorry- saw Dead Man's Chest on Friday, aargh). Last night, I was lucky enough to get center 4th row seats in the pavillion to see Belle & Sebastian play.

Opening around 6:30pm was Ted Leo + Pharmacists. He's had a lot of fans present as he's from DC, but I've never been huge on his music. He was okay. Not sure if I would rush to buy his records though.
Second up was Canadian supergroup Broken Social Scene. The group was sans Jason Collett, Feist, and Emily Haines, but they did have Stars' vocalist Amy Millian joining them. They had a few sound problems, but I did enjoy their set.
Last night's show was probably my favorite time seeing Belle & Sebastian. This was probably due to our nice comfy seats, but the sound was fantastic, and the band played a great mix of songs from all of their albums. They had 4 ladies on violin accompanying them (like Bond), and I liked their stage set up with large banners of images from their past album covers including Tigermilk. I quite liked hearing "A Summer Wasting", "If You Are Feeling Sinister", and "The Boy with the Arab Strap" - which I hadn't heard them play live before.

No comments: