Monday, June 12, 2006

Dios Malos, The Octopus Project, and Private Eleanor at Fletcher's


Last night, went to Fletcher's to see a few bands play on a mellow Sunday after spending the afternoon playing with my friend's baby daughter.
The openers were local band Private Eleanor, a nice little pop outfit. Unfortunately, their sound was a little off initially, but it improved through their set. I wish the lead guy sang a little harder, but the gal in the group was really cute. They were ok.

The second act was The Octopus Project, an Austin band that got a lot of internet hype last year. They were an instrumental group with a lot of energy. Their stage setup was unique with speaker monsters, and they started the set wearing electric sockets. Their music reminded me some of early Trans Am- mixing electronics with a punk aesthetic.
Yvonne, the woman in the band, had great hair, and she was fun to watch playing the theremin.

The last band I saw was Dios Malos, a group from Hawthorne, CA. They have a real solid pop-rock sound, and the band is really tight together. Their lead guy is a huge Mexican, and I loved how their new drummer made crazy faces while he played. It was my first time seeing them, and I was really impressed.
The headliner was Starlight Mints, but I had to wake up at 5 in the morning, and Dios Malos were so good, I called it a night.

No comments: