Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Au Revoir Simone at the Black Cat


I ventured into what I think was a sold out We Are Scientists show at the Black Cat last night, despite continued torrential downpours, to see the lovely women of Au Revoir Simone opening (didn't stay for the other acts). Man, I felt like and old man at this show because most of the kids in the front had their usual double X's. It got crowded very quickly when the band started.
Au Revoir Simone are three ladies on keyboards who sing pop songs. I got their self-released album, verses of comfort, assurance and salvation, a couple months ago, and I love it. The harmonies of Wilson Phillips with an indie/electronic sensibility. Live, they sounded much fuller, and it was cool that people in the front started getting into them and dancing.
After their set, I went over to them in the back, bought a t-shirt, and spoke some with Heather and Erika from the band (pictured above). Dreamy indie women talking to the geeky fanboy blogger. It made my night.

Au Revoir Simone - "Hurricanes"
Au Revoir Simone - "Through the Backyards"

No comments: