Sunday, March 12, 2006

Dada and Hiroshi Sugimoto


Yesterday was nice and warm. Sue had come down for the Pogues, but we also decided to go to the Mall in DC to check out a few exhibits. First off, was the Dada exhibit at the National Gallery. It was an interesting overview of the schools of Dada that came up after World War I. I liked the self-consciousness of the movement, and how the artists involved never did seem to get along. Great stuff from my man, Duchamp - I love artists who have aliases.
I also found it funny that cool bands took their names from this art movement- Cabaret Voltaire and Merzbow. There were great pieces by Max Ernst, Man Ray, and a cool marionette called Dr. Komplex (a Jungian figure).
We then went over to the Hirshhorn Gallery across the Mall to see the Hiroshi Sugimoto exhibit. He is an amazing photographer! Featured were photographs of nature dioramas, portraits of wax figures of famous people in history, and digital photos of his empty home. I particularly liked his photos of movie theaters- he left the shutter open through an entire film, and the end result is a white screen.
He also featured architectural pieces shot with the stop at twice infinity. My favorite was a room with his seascapes - it felt like you were on a giant black and white cruise ship looking at the ocean.

No comments: