Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dinosaur, Jr. Reunion at the Ottobar


Tonight, I was at the Ottobar to see the reunited Dinosaur, Jr play. It was a real throwback to the early 90's.
Opening up was a band called Mouthus, on the Ecstatic Peace label. They were loud; their sound was droney feedback- pretty cool, but the sound levels drove a lot of the crowd to the bar in the back.
So, the original lineup of J Mascis, Lou Barlow, and Murph recently reunited and they are now touring. It was pretty cool seeing them play again, but man do I feel old. Mascis' hair is all grey now, and Murph looks like a PE teacher. They still play pretty amazing though.
Their sound hearkens back to my university years - man, I swear I saw some of the best shows in college because most of the bands were a helluva lot better back then, too. I really forgot about the musicianship of Dinosaur, Jr. until last night, and it was indeed impressive.
I'm sounding like an old codger now, but dagnabbit, it's true. I can't wait for the Touch & Go Anniversary show in 2 weeks!

No comments: